<< Visit Website
Categories: Animal, [ View All ]
Southern Pines Animal Shelter Charity Profile
The Southern Pines Animal Shelter promotes animal welfare and responsible pet ownership in a variety of ways, including:
Operating a low-cost, high-quality Spay & Neuter Clinic for the general public (opened in July 2009)
Sheltering lost pets and reuniting them with their owners
Finding homes for unwanted pets
Educating the community about the problems of unwanted, neglected and abused animals
Providing humane care for all animals in our custody
The Southern Pines Animal Shelter is an "open admission" shelter, meaning that no animal is turned away regardless of health, age, or temperament. The Shelter works with the cities of Hattiesburg and Petal to house their stray animals, while also accepting unwanted and lost pets from an 12-county area.
In 2009 there were 8,794 lost, stray, and unwanted animals brought to the Southern Pines Animal Shelter. Unfortunately many animals must be euthanized because of lack of space, resources, and adoptive homes.
In July 2008 the Shelter began feeding Hill's Science Diet exclusively and recommending it to all adopters. Thank you to the generous donors who made this possible! Feeding a consistent high quality food helps keep shelter pets healthier and stops the stomach upset and diarrhea caused from using a variety of donated foods.
Southern Pines Animal Shelter Volunteer Information
Southern Pines Animal Shelter is a 501(c)(3) Not-for-Profit organization. We receive some municipal support from some of the cities and towns we serve, but these monies are not enough to support the more than 10,000 animals we now receive each year. In order to keep the doors open to receive all animals who are brought to us, we must have support from the communities, from grants, and from individual and corporate donors. We are very lucky to have a substantial base of donors, in addition to our municipal support, and we are always happy to have more people join us! To support our work, here are the ways you can help:
1. Become a Member. We value each of our members greatly. Your support and encouragement is critical to our operation! Read more about membership by clicking on the "Become a Member" link at left!
2. Give. We have many donors who give a monthly sum to us when they write out their bills each month. Sometimes the amount varies; sometimes it is the same each month. These monthly donations are very important to us. Whether your donation is $10 or $1000, every penny we get is wisely and judiciously used to care for the animals who come into our care.
3. Adopt a pet from us!
4. Volunteer. We have many ways that you can volunteer to help us with your time and talent. Click on the "Volunteer" link on the left to find out more!
5. Talk to your employer about becoming a corporate donor with a matching fund (whatever the employees raise, the corporation or business will match the gift). In essence, this means your gift to us is doubled by your employer's gift, and it is a significant way for your dollars to stretch further in helping us care for the thousands of animals who come to us.
6. Make Southern Pines Animal Shelter a beneficiary of a life insurance policy or of your will.